Monday, September 12, 2011

Observations from the sickbed

I have been sick for almost a week now, but it feels like it has been months.  


For a few days I was delirious with fever.  After a quick trip to the doctor's office for blood work and an xray (with my two youngest in tow of course, yes I just wrote "in tow"), found out I had pneumonia.  Happy I got drugs, but would've preferred a quicker turnaround.


But really I will try to be patient with my body, forgiving to myself about things I don't get done and understanding when life doesn't go my way. Yeah right, but I will keep telling myself that.

While in my sick fog I have done a lot of listening and coming in and out of reality.  I realized a few things.  These are my observations from the sickbed (that are scattered and sound little like "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handy).


Only depressed people with gas watch daytime television according to marketing gurus.  But my god, hearing the side effects in those pleasant voices like "you may suffer from headaches, joint pain, diarrhea and in some cases people die!" made me depressed, I may need to be medicated.  Guess those marketing people know what they are doing.












My children are very, very loud.




Peter Pan is a dick.  Harsh?  Maybe, but remember I do have a lot of under-the-surface anger.  As I was listening to my kids watch "Peter Pan," which I have "watched" a million times, I hear Peter say to the sweet Wendy "girls talk too much" and then laugh his tiny little head off when Tinker Bell was saying Wendy was ugly.  Then Wendy still goes to Neverland with him?  Seriously?  No wonder our girls (and women) are so confused about life.  


Surprisingly, I was very emotional when I was awake enough this weekend to think about what I needed to be doing and what I was missing.  And I realized that I am a bit dramatic, maybe some would say over dramatic or call me a drama queen or drama mama.  I was crying at a lot of commercials on tv and then the movie "StepMom" came on and I felt that I could totally relate to Susan Sarandon who is dying and has to say good-bye to her children.  Too much!!!!!!!!


Thank god I also watched some lighthearted reality tv.  I now totally, completely understand, finally, the fascination with "Keeping Up with the Kardashians."  I watched a marathon on E and fell in love.  Are they materialistic?  Yes.  Silly? Yes.  Real? Maybe a little.  But, I cannot help myself they are one charmingly annoying family I would love to hang out with. I am now counting the days until the wedding special in October.  Thank god I have something to look forward to.


I have a great husband who is very understanding and such a wonderful father.  He took very good care of me.


I realized we were in need of a date night when I felt my heart swell when he put his hand on my head to check my fever several times in the middle of the night.  I felt like Rudolph when he swoons over Clarice saying "I'm cuuuuuute!"  Pathetic that is all it took to make me feel loved.








It takes a village to take care of my kids.  Thank you village.


Being sick sucks.  But it is easier to be sick and in bed on rainy, dreary days.  


I also watched "Jerry Maguire" and remembered when I used to like Tom Cruise.  I have some issues with the whole idea of the "you complete me" message of that movie, but overall a pretty good flick.


Soon I hope to be back to myself and having a Jerry Maguire moment like this one.  


No comments:

Post a Comment